This weekend is the Australia Day long weekend, and after this post, I’m going offline for some family time and sewing thinking. Do you ever get over inspired? At the moment my mind is running ahead much faster than my sewing skills, so I’m going to really take some time to think about the patterns I have, and all the fabric I have, and start using them all!
Making the seamless pledge has been very relaxing. By not allowing myself to buy RTW clothes (I did fall off the wagon a little in November in the UK – I needed jeans and a cardigan) I’m really appreciating the clothes that I make, and am veering towards sewing more cake, and also more excitedly, wearing more frosting!
This challenge might make me use some of the more tricky fabrics in my stash, the chiffons and silks and unknown 70′s fabric that frays like crazy. Challenge accepted.
There’s no promises not buy more fabric, but to buy more sustainable/quality fabrics. If I’m going to spend the time sewing it, I want it to last right? We’re being given a little gentle guidance on how to use up some of those fabrics, from Cation Designs.
Here’s a list of the first six themes, which covers the first half of the year.
- January: Itty Bits! Sew up those remnants left over from another project, use up some of those tiny scraps that you’ve been saving…as long as it’s less than a yard of fabric, it counts!
- February: THE LOVE CHALLENGE.
- March: Impending Seasonal Change. Regardless of your hemispherical location, the weather will be changing soon…what will you make? Something fun for the coming spring, or something cozy for fall?
- April: THE VIBRANT COLOR CHALLENGE.
- May: THE KNIT CHALLENGE.
- June: Containment! Get ready for those long car trips, summer outings or some good old fashioned cleaning and organizing! We’re thinking bags, boxes, totes, purses, pouches, you name it; this month is all about making things to put other things in.
So, I will endeavour to use two pieces of fabric out of my stash (my pre-2013 stash) each month. Do you think you could do it too?